• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting back to eating meat

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
So I've been a vegetarian for only 1 1/3 years (since march of last year).

And I realized I need to eat meat again, for various health reasons.

However, my digestive system has gotten used to not dealing with meat. I tried some fresh, grass-fed, lean meat once (goat), and cramps and explosive diarrhea ensued.

A bit later, I tried just one meatball made from local, organic ground turkey. Same thing happened (to a lesser extent, it was much less meat).

How am I supposed to get back to eating meat now? Just a pinch of meat will upset my entire system. Any ex-vegetarians out there have any advice? I would like to hear from experienced people.

I recently went back to eating meat after 14 years of being a vegetarian. I still eat mostly vegetarian meals but try to keep it to chicken and fish if I eat meat. I won't eat much if I do, because a lot will upset my stomach. Try starting with a little fish and work your way up baby steps.

Oh, something I forgot to mention. I already eat fish, and fish is fine with my system. Tuna and salmon, mostly.

maybe you legitimately can't eat meat? what are your health reasons?

I was vegan for almost 2 years. The first time I ate meat after that it was a huge grass fed steak. For me, it caused no intestinal problems at all...so I don't really know what to tell you.. I think you have the right idea in the type of meat you are choosing though.

work your way up. start as small as you need to. maybe one small bit like 2 or 3 grams of chicken in the morning and evening at the start (with other food). Then say after a week of very small amounts throughout the day you could try small portions with your main meal, only do what you feel you can handle (or are willing to dare), by this stage you may already be reaccustomed to the flavors and experience of eating meat so you may well be able too eat a normal sized portion (european normal, not american). Provided you continue eating meat daily your body will adapt itself to thrive on this new nutrient source.

maybe you legitimately can't eat meat? what are your health reasons?

Well, when I ate meat before going vegetarian (and milk-free), it was fine!

My health reasons for going back on meat: bad hemolytic anemia. I'm on iron supplements, but I'd rather get vitamins from food than pills, if you know what i'm sayin'.

Also, I recently found out that I am severely allergic to soy. What does a vegetarian eat who can't eat soy products? Not much!

Plus, I need lots of protein. I am very underweight and need more flesh! rrrrrrrrrr

*voice in the distance* "give that man some meat!"

"What does a vegetarian eat who can't eat soy products?"

hmm..meat.

yeah sounds like you don't have a choice but to go back to being a meat eater. try eating chicken and turkey for a while before going to red meat?

Hmmm. I've heard the opposite.. that red meat is easier to digest than fowl.. ahhhh confuzzled brain...

Hey, try eating some papaya or pineapple before (or with, as a relish or something) your meat. They have enzymes that help digest it.

Also, don't eat carbohydrates with it to start with. Just eat it alone with salad, and chew the meat a lot and in small portions! Just until your body gets used to it.

try adding beef stock into some marinara and add some ground buffalo(++ lean), or goulash w/e for a bit - or add some chicken in with tuna on some heavy sprouted grain bread.